FAQ’s – Functional Medicine & Applied Kinesiology
Welcome To Dr. Houston Anderson
We focus on getting to the root of your health problems through the combined us of Functional Medicine & Applied Kinesiology. Please find many of the frequently asked questions we receive.
Yes! Dr. Anderson offers a free 10-minute in-office consultation to all potential new patients to determine if you are a good fit for his program. The initial FREE discovery session can be done in either our Mesa, AZ or Scottsdale, AZ locations.CLICK HERE to schedule a free consult. For long distance patients, only paid telephone consultations are currently available. The cost is currently $97 for a 20-minute consultation.
Click Here to schedule online (preferred method) or call us at (480) 242-2536 and leave a message.
Dr. Anderson tries to return all of his own phone calls and speak with you directly, so please be patient and he will return your call within 48 hours.
If you still have questions regarding treatment, you can email Dr. Anderson directly prior to scheduling your appointment at [email protected]
Dr. Houston C. Anderson, DC, MS is a board certified chiropractor and chiropractic nutrition specialist with office is both Mesa, AZ and Scottsdale, AZ that combine the latest alternative, integrative, holistic and mainstream treatment methods primarily consisting of functional medicine, applied kinesiology, nutritional biochemistry, functional neurology, and multiple soft tissue therapies.
By combining nutrition, acupressure, chiropractic, and craniosacral therapies with the fundamental processes of neurology, biochemistry, and physiology, he is able to create a clearer picture of the problem and how to fix it. This is how we define functional medicine.
The goal is that instead of having to hunt from one doctor to another until you find ONE that can help, you’re being treated by one doctor whom has the knowledge of several doctors put together. While he is not a naturopath,many patients say it is like having a naturopath and a chiropractor all-in-one.
Dr. Anderson sees patients from all over Arizona and surrounding states who have seen many other doctors and have been unable to find help. Most times the comprehensive treatment allows him to address a missing piece of the puzzle and resolve long standing health concerns.
A 90-minute initial appointment is necessary so treatment may begin upon the first visit. Dr. Anderson will spend a lot of time with you so you may begin to feel better after your first appointment.
Follow-up appointments are 50-60 minutes in length. Please immediately schedule your 1st follow up appointment 2 weeks after your initial visit online. This ensures you will have a time slot.
This puts you in Dr. Anderson’s schedule as the second visit is just as important or more important as the first in order to determine your progress and response to the initial treatment.
Dr. Anderson sees most of his patients less frequently because he has observed that spinal problems and internal problems are often a secondary issue caused by a deeper underlying dysfunction. Due to the amount of time Dr. Anderson spends with each patient he is able to get more done in a single visit than many other practitioners.
By getting to the root of the cause, instead of just temporarily masking it, you should see better results while coming in a fraction of the frequency seen by most DCs.
The initial 90-minute visit is offered at a discounted rate of $297. Follow-up visits last approximately 50-minutes in length and cost $169. Lab work and supplements are charged in addition to the office visit. The average patient receives 2 to 3 supplements per visit depending on their individual circumstances and needs.
Our patients pay us at the time of the appointment, and are given all the necessary forms to submit to his or her insurance company. Please be prepared to take care of the charges before you leave. We accept cash, check and all major credit cards.
Pediatric fees are the same as adult fees at this time though most pediatric visits last much shorter duration than adult visits.
That depends on your insurance company. Dr. Anderson is a chiropractor, so if your insurance covers chiropractic then it is likely that you will be reimbursed for his services to the extent that your policy covers. He does not participate in any insurance plans. Therefore, he would be considered a non-participating provider or “out-of- network” with your carrier.
You are responsible for the charges incurred at the time of your appointment. If requested we will provide the appropriate paperwork for you to send in to your insurance company. If they reimburse for the services provided, they’ll reimburse you directly.
No, Dr. Anderson thankfully does not write prescriptions for pharmaceutical medications. Because he is unable to write prescriptions he has been able to dig deeper into root level issues and work with his patients primary care physician to get them off as many medications as possible.
For patients that absolutely require medication, he works closely with their physician or if they do not have a functional medicine doctor to work with he has close relationships with doctors in the community.
Yes, but from what the average person knows about muscle testing, or has been exposed to, the type of muscle testing Dr. Anderson uses is significantly more comprehensive and complex than what most doctors use.
Unfortunately, there are a lot of physicians and non-physicians that are either not qualified to perform muscle testing, or are using generalized inaccurate forms of the technique. Muscle testing, as performed in our office, is a major part of the neurological assessment process.
In order to help you, Dr. Anderson looks at your medical history, lab tests, physical exam findings, neurological exam findings, and other criteria. He uses specific neurological muscle tests to help him understand additional details that fit within the realm of traditional physical diagnosis, and uses that information to help treat the problem most effectively.
Muscle testing, when used appropriately and by a qualified and certified, skilled physician, is a powerful tool that aids in individualized, specific treatment.
Click here for more information on muscle testing.
Dr. Anderson is a chiropractor, so he has been trained on the techniques and benefits of manual adjusting. In school he was trained to detect subluxations (misalignments in the spine) and adjust (“crack”) the spine.
Dr. Anderson has training in Diversified, Gonstead, Thompson, Motion Palpation, S.O.T. (sacro-occipital technique), Applied Kinesiology and Activator techniques, he has additionally taken many other post-graduate seminars. Whenever treating a spinal subluxation or misalignment he first asks if it is a symptom or a root cause of the disorder. By utilizing his additional training he focuses on getting to the root of what caused the subluxation and fixes that. For most cases, this may mean a chiropractic adjustment is not indicated, although at times it is necessary.
To help you, Dr. Anderson looks at your medical history, lab tests, physical exam findings, neurological exam findings, and other criteria. He uses specific neurological muscle tests to help him understand what is going on with you, and how to treat the problem most effectively. Muscle testing, when used appropriately and by a qualified, skilled physician, is a powerful tool that aids in individualized, specific treatment.
If you are looking for a local chiropractor that accepts insurance in Gilbert, Dr. Anderson highly recommends Dr. Cooper Anderson, DC or for a local chiropractor in Scottsdale, Dr. Anderson highly recommends Dr. Jeff Robinson.
Yes, he sees children of all ages and has provided effective treatments for health issues ranging from the typical child illnesses like pink eye to youth athletic injuries.
Dr. Anderson has 5 children of his own that utilize him as their only physician/pediatrician.
- COVID-19 – The Newest Coronavirus
- Natural Treatments For Sjogren’s Syndrome Part 3
- Natural Treatments For Sjogren’s Syndrome Part 2
- Natural Treatments For Sjogren’s Syndrome Part 1
- The Best Lab Test For Leaky Gut
- Natural Treatments For PMDD (Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder)
- Natural POTS Treatment (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia)
- Xero Shoes Hana Review
- Chronic Neck Tension & Pain – The Missing Piece to The Puzzle
- Fibromyalgia Natural Treatments and Functional Medicine Approach
- Natural Irritable Bowel Syndrome Treatments and Root Causes of IBS
- Disaccharidase Deficiency Causes and Natural Treatment
- Natural Treatments For Bile Acid Diarrhea (aka Bile Salt Diarrhea)
- SIFO – Small Intestine Fungal Overgrowth Symptoms and Treatment
- GERD, Acid Reflux and Heartburn Without Medication
- Food Sensitivities – Are You Super Sensitive?
- The Low Estrogen Myth – Should I Really Add Hormones?
- Is there a CRPS treatment?
- 3 Reasons Probiotics Almost Always Fail
- Gallbladder – Can You Save It?
- IUD Discomfort & Complications
- How to Fix your Progesterone to Estrogen Ratio for the Last Time – Part 3
- How to Fix your Progesterone to Estrogen Ratio for the Last Time – Part 2
- How to Fix Your Progesterone to Estrogen Ratio For The Last Time
- Toxic Belly Fat and Stubborn Weight Loss
- Vitamin E – Hormones and Pain
- Vitamin A & the Autoimmune Connection
- Overuse Injuries – A White Lie?
- Protein Deficiency is Starving Your Health
- Active Stretching for Stubborn Hamstrings
- A New Approach to Shin Splints
- The Gut-Thyroid Connection
- Estrogen and Histamine Intolerance (The Hidden Link)
- Fibromyalgia Treatment
- Adrenal Fatigue – A Poisoning Problem
- Natural Interstitial Cystitis Remedies
- Natural Interstitial Cystitis Treatment & Relief
- Wim Hof Method AZ – Review and Reflection
- Autism and Ammonia – Exciting!
- Sensitive Noses – Aldehyde Sniff Test
- Walk Smarter – Barefoot Brains
- Stinky People, Odor Sensitivities & Ammonia Toxicity
- 30 Day Barefoot Challenge – Learn to Walk Naturally
- Is Peanut Butter Healthy? – Nutrition Bites
- Facet Syndrome – Should you get a Medial Branch Block?
- Full Fat, 2% or Skim? – Nutrition Bites
- Hidden Sources of Jaw Pain – Effective TMJ Treatments
- Got Low Testosterone?
- NNA 006 – Autoimmune Disease with Dr. David Brady
- Solanine Toxicity – The Dark Side of Nightshades
- NNA 005 – Female Hormones, PMS & Carbohydrate Threshold
- Histamine Intolerance Symptoms and Natural Treatment
- NNA 004 – Plantar Fasciitis and Pain Killers
- 3 Common Micronutrient Deficiencies & Should You Take A Multi-Vitamin?
- 4 Common Causes of IT Band Syndrome
- NNA 003 – Why Your Thyroid Treatment Isn’t Working
- NNA 002 – Water Bottles and Bad Diagnosis
- NNA 001 – Personal Intro, Injuries and the Holy Grail
- Hormone Replacement Therapy and Hormonal Imbalances
- Why Plantar Fasciitis Treatments Fail – Part 2
- Why Plantar Fasciitis Treatments Fail – Part 1
- Is Autoimmune Disease a Fad?
- VIVOBAREFOOT Ra II Review
- Lyme Disease Treatments – Part 2
- 15 Natural Lyme Disease Treatments – Part 1
- Post Concussion Syndrome Treatment – Much More Than Resting (Part 1)
- Tulsi Supreme
- Are Your Adrenals Ruining Your Fertility?
- Fibroids, Endometriosis & Fertility – Part 2
- Endometriosis, Fibroids and Fertility – Part 1
- Leaky Gut Natural Treatments
- Why Butter is Better!
- Way Cool Whey Cool Protein
- 2 Medically Necessary Natural Movements
- Women’s Health
- Heavy Metals & Autism
- Biofilms – A Serious Threat to Your Health
- Low Back Pain – A Deeper Look – Part 2
- Low Back Pain When Nothing Else Works – Part 1
- Infertility and PCOS – A Natural Approach – Part 2
- Infertility and PCOS – A Natural Approach – Part 1
- Has Autism Gone Viral?
- Is the Approach to Autism More Important Than the Therapy?
- Autism and the Digestive System – First Things First
- Bugs, Biofilms & Essential Oils
- Why Essential Oils Don’t Work & How to Fix It (Part 2)
- Why Essential Oils Don’t Work & How to Fix It (Part 1)